Canine Yeast Dermatitis Test Kit
Yeast infections / dermatitis are a common problem in dogs. The main species of yeast that affects dogs is Malassezia, which can live happily on a healthy dog. The dogs immune system will usually keep yeast numbers in check however on occasions other conditions such as food allergies, illness affecting the immune system and hormonal conditions can cause the Malassezia to develop in larger numbers causing an imbalance; leading to an infection.
Yeast infections can also affect dogs that like to swim. In this case, the ears provide a perfect environment (moisture) for the yeast to flourish!
It is also common to see yeast infections in dogs where food allergies are present. This can also be the case for dogs that suffer with environmental allergies too. Anything that negatively impacts the skins ‘normal’ defence can make a yeast infection more likely.
- Sore / Red irritated, itchy skin (which can occur anywhere on the dogs skin, including the tummy, skin folds, armpits, paws etc)
- Skin may be greasy or flaky
- Brown discharge in the ears which may cause rubbing of their face
Yeast or mites?
A very good question! While some symptoms may be similar, you know your pet and symptoms such as an odour, associated with a yeast infection will be a good indication. You may have already started an elimination diet and therefore already suspect higher yeast levels. As with anything, sometimes, it is simply a process of elimination.
What we do:
Your samples will be examined under the microscope using the Impression Tape samples and by carrying out a smear test with your swab sample.
What will this test tell me?
This test is a non-invasive tool that can be used as a process of elimination where your dog is experiencing symptoms. If your dog is showing severe symptoms then you should contact your vet for advice and treatment options. Results from this test can be shared with your vet who (where applicable) will then be able to determine the best treatment options, appropriate for your dog.
Your vet may also wish to carry out additional testing to identify the root cause if an underlying condition is suspected.
Tip > Pet Insurance: You may be able to make a claim on your pet insurance for this test and ongoing treatment, should a positive result be identified. In this case, speaking to your veterinary practice and insurance company would be advisable.
What is included in my Kit?
- Instructions for use.
- 1 x Hygiene Swab.
- 4 x impression tape swabs.
- All Feclab kits contain instructions and free 1st class return postage, which can be popped in to a standard letter box.
Results will be emailed to you within 2 – 3 days of us receiving your sample.
Instructions for use
1. Using the swab provided, wipe the swab end around all the areas of concern.
2. Once taken, place the swab back in the tube and do the lid up (making sure it is tight).
3. Write your dogs’ name on the tube
4. Place your swab tube in the bubble wrap bag provided
Your kit contains 4 Tape Impressions.
1. Peel back the paper side, trying not to touch the sticky side of the tape.
2. On the area of concern, clear as much hair as possible and place the tape on to the area. Rub this with your finger so that it is pressed against the skin.
3. With your finger, rub over the top of the tape to ensure all of the tape touches the area of concern. Do this for each impression.
4. Once done, fold the impression tape in half, so that it sticks to itself.
5. Place your impression samples in to the small zip bag and seal.
Finally: Place your Impression samples, your swab sample and this leaflet into the pre-paid returns envelope and pop this in a standard letter box.
** You will receive your results within 2 – 3 days via email. Please keep an eye on your spam folder too. If you have not received your results within this time, please do contact us.